Sandy and Bernice Bienenstock stand in the original book store at The Bernice Bienenstock Furniture Library. Mr. Bienenstock began this collection in 1922. 90 years later, it is the preeminent resource for information, illustration and inspiration.
Mr. Bienenstock was the owner of Furniture World magazine and had a passion for the furniture industry. Sandy and Bernice Bienenstock founded the Furniture Library Association in 1970. Their vision of a research library for the furniture industry began with their personal collection of books. Originally, the second floor of the library provided apartment space for Sandy and Bernice, while the first floor housed the library’s collection. After Bernice’s death in 1984, the name was changed to the Bernice Bienenstock Furniture Library in her memory. What was once an apartment is now used for meeting rooms and additional library space.
The library is located in the Grayson House which is on the national register of historic places. This colonial revival style house was originally built in 1923 and is constructed of gray granite. It has been updated and renovated to be a state of the art facility.